Welch Allyn EpiScope Dermatoscope Skin Surface Microscope
Patient awareness of malignant melanoma has dramatically increased over the last 20 years, but can still be hard to diagnose with the naked eye alone. The Welch Allyn EpiScope Dermatoscope Skin Surface Microscope is an excellent diagnostic tool for the identification of pigmented skin lesions, offering up to 10x magnification.
Please note that this product is the head only, and requires a 3.5V Welch Allyn handle to operate.
What Is Included with My Purchase?
Your purchase will include:
- 1 x EpiScope dermatoscope head
- 1 x Detailed instruction manual
- 1 x Laminated wall chart
What Else Do I Need?
In order to operate this dermatoscope it is necessary to have a Welch Allyn 3.5V handle (not included). If you already have a Welch Allyn diagnostic device with a universal 3.5V battery handle, it will be compatible with the EpiScope. Otherwise, any of the following handles is suitable:
What Are the Benefits of the Welch Allyn EpiScope Skin Surface Microscope?
Affordable and easily incorporated into your practice, Welch Allyn’s high quality EpiScope helps address patients’ concerns by examining the entire skin surface and making accurate measurements of skin lesions. This model comes with a free laminated wall chart to help patients access even more information.
What Level of Magnification Does the EpiScope Provide?
The EpiScope can achieve 10x magnification. This allows for a crisp, clear view of the skin and any potential skin lesions.
What Are the Features of This Dermatoscope Head?
The Welch Allyn EpiScope offers precise diagnostic with the following features:
- Accurate imaging – advanced 10x optics system aid in the accurate identification of suspicious lesions
- Clear illumination – bright 3.5V halogen light helps to achieve true tissue colour
- Ergonomic design – will attach to any Welch Allyn 3.5V battery power source
- Easy measurement – is facilitated by millimetre indicators on the reticle contact plate
- East to keep clean – removable contact plate is autoclavable to eliminate possibility of cross-contamination
- Easy to use – Large, knurled focusing ring makes it easy to achieve sharp focus on moles or lesions
- Comfortable eyepiece – soft rubber eye protector allows practitioner to comfortably place instrument between eye and lesion
How Do I Use the EpiScope?
Once it has been attached to a 3.5V Welch Allyn handle, using the EpiScope is exceptionally easy. Resting your eye again the rubber eye rest, simply centre the EpiScope against the area in question and adjust the focal ring to get the skin in focus. Moistening the skin with oil can help to eliminate glare.
Can I Use the EpiScope While Wearing Glasses?
It is possible to use the EpiScope while you are wearing glasses. Simply roll back the rubber eye guard and then use as usual.
How Do I Examine Raised Moles or Lesions Using This Dermatoscope?
Raised moles and lesions can be examined fairly easily using the EpiScope. It is only necessary to remove the contact plate and keep the dermatoscope slightly over the skin.
What Is the Laminated Wall Chart?
This dermatoscope head is supplied with a free education wall chart. The chart details 14 common pigmented skin issues and is a good educational chart for patients to aid in the early identification of skin issues such as malignant melanoma.